Indiana, Amy Whittaker Anders’ son forgot his lunch money one day and was instead given a bagged lunch provided by the school.
But the child soon realized there was something grossly wrong with the peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the brown bag. It was moldy.
A picture snapped by the boy shows mold on the inside and outside of the bread. Although the school replaced the boy’s sandwich, her son was still afraid to eat it.
The same thing reportedly happened to her son’s friend two weeks prior to the incident.
Amy took to Facebook with the caption: “I have no idea how someone could not see this was bad when handing it out!”
Avon Community School Corporation released the following statement in response to the incident:
We are grateful to be made aware of the situation and have reached out to the parents and apologized. This is an unacceptable human error and we are looking into it to ensure that this never happens again.
A similar incident happened to students at a Maryland school who received meals covered in mold.
“Criminals are getting better food than we are,” Tamera Perry, a senior student at Friendly High School in Fort Washington told WTTG.
She went on to claim, “There have been incidents where the lunch lady had to collect our fruit cup because they were expired. Our milk has been expired. Open up apple juice cartons and it’s been green. It’s just disgusting.”
Sources: WISH, WTTG